Monday, December 6, 2010

Remember Your Dreams

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said. "One can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour each day. Why, sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Lewis Carroll, ALICE IN WONDERLAND

What were your "impossible things" as a child? What are they now? For this week, spend a few minutes reflecting on your life's dreams. What dreams have come true for you and what did it feel like to realize a dream? What dreams are left for you to realize? Obviously, having this healthy baby is one dream that you are hoping to realize. Who are you besides a mother-to-be? What dreams do you share with your partner?

It is important to remember that you were a woman with many different and varied dreams before you became obsessed with motherhood. Sometimes during fertility issues it is easy to forget who we were before disappointment struck. It is also common to forget the aspects that drew you to your mate and brought you joy in the relationship. Think back and remember the "impossible things" that make you tick--outside of wanting to be a mother or a mother of more children. You will achieve that dream--someway, somehow--that dream WILL come true. But you will be a better mother if all of your dreams are not wrapped up in your children.

Help me to remember who I am at my core. I think I may have forgotten lately because of my hurt and anxiety. This is normal and I shouldn't feel guilty about it...but it's time to change my outlook. Help me to check back in with myself and think about my dreams and hopes for the future. Help me to be optimistic and find my innocence again--before this baby arrives and needs me to play, laugh, and imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment