Friday, December 31, 2010

Following Your Heart

"And suddenly, the clouds parted and she realized what she had been following. She saw it there in the distance like a house with wings and a candle burning in every window: her heart. So, of course, she had to enter. Once you follow your heart, and then find it, you must open the door..." --Monique Duval, THE PERSISTENCE OF YELLOW

Women are typically intuitive creatures, the gender that is commonly more in touch with their feelings and instincts. However, much of our socialization as girls was likely focused on the importance of recognizing other's needs and quickly sensing how we can be helpful in any situation. Often these behaviors earned us a "good girl" response from our caregivers. No doubt these skills will come in useful as a mother, however, it has too often made us unfamiliar to ourselves--and not always comfortable following our own heart.

What would your heart look like? Feel like? What do you value most in this world and how are they represented inside of yourself? What are the longings of your heart? How would you feel opening the door to your heart? Is it a comforting, safe, and familiar place? Or is it scary to open the door to your heart--do you feel vulnerable? If so, why do you think this is how you feel? How does this pregnancy and parenthood fit inside your heart? Is there a way that you can hold your lost baby or babies in this imagery and make room to hold your unborn baby?

This visualization of a warm, welcoming heart--like the one described above--can be a powerfully comforting exercise during this time. As you worry about making it through this pregnancy, you could make this visualization part of your relaxation process to help yourself cope. It may also help to soothe your hurt if you are experiencing more sadness about your previous miscarriage. If this exercise feels uncomfortable and makes you feel too vulnerable, it is a good time to think about why this is so difficult for you. Pregnancy, the act of giving birth, and parenthood are all experiences that can make one feel extremely vulnerable--so it's best to start becoming more comfortable with it now!

Please help me to become aware of my heart's longings today. Make me open to seeing the possibilities for my life and heart in all areas, not just in the parenthood realm. Help me to envision my heart as a loving and accepting place--a place that can comfort me when I feel sad or scared. If it is threatening to feel vulnerable, help to soften the worries so that I may begin to explore unchartered territory inside myself. My baby will be better for this work that I do for myself to live my best life possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment